Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Where have all the caterpillars gone?

I am standing at my sink chopping vegetables for dinner - and it comes to me................where have all the caterpillars gone? We generally buy organic fruit and vegetables (and meat and chicken too) except when the organic grocer is closed and I have to go to the supermarket. So today at lunchtime I was cutting up some strawberries and there was a little green caterpillar making its home on the side of one of the fruits. Wow, I thought, hello little fella. I picked him off and put him into the compost bin and continued on without a thought. Fast forward to the next meal time and I am washing the dirt off the potatoes and it dawns on me. I don't see those little green caterpillars on the conventionally grown fruit and vegies I buy at the supermarket. I wonder why ???? (these are ironic question marks by the way). Buy organic, save the caterpillar.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I was watching those little white butterflies fluttering about in the radishes today thinking about all those eggs they were laying that were soon to become caterpillars. Thanks for getting it. I hope the people who buy our radishes and come accross the caterpillars we miss are as understanding as you. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate
    Your comment made my day! The fact that someone 'got me' getting you - if you know what I mean! Keep up the good fight and I'll keep spreading the word. And a big thank you for farming organically.
    Mel x

    ReplyDelete