Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Caramels

Instead of the usual store bought chocolates to give to the neighbours this year, I have decided to make my mum's caramels......yum. Never done it before but mum reckons 'they're easy'. Every recipe she has in her collection has a little history - whether it's Mrs Dorn's chocolate cake or Aunty Norma's Anzacs, they have been lovingly shared along the way. Except for the caramels....written in my oldest sister's handwriting, the origin of the recipe has been lost to history so I was bold enough to re-name them Mum's Caramels and hopefully they will look like these.....

MUM'S CARAMELS
  • 125g butter
  • 250g brown sugar
  • 1 can of condensed milk
  • 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
Melt butter in a saucepan and then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
Keep boiling and stirring for 15 minutes or until the mixture leaves the sides of the saucepan.
Pour the mixture into a greased slab/slice tin. Set aside to cool.
When cooled, cut and wrap in baking paper. Try to leave some for gifts !!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to see this recipe, Mel! I've been wanting to make these, and I just found golden syrup yesterday!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jan - I think today will be my caramel cooking day and I am working on my willpower to make sure I don't eat them all !!! Now, I am not totally sure but you could substitute dark corn syrup for golden syrup?? Anyone know ???
    Mel xx

    ReplyDelete